Whether you plan to make or break your New Year’s resolutions, we got you covered. Here are 40 exciting things to do this January in Houston!
Whether you’re looking for a beautifully unique classical music performance or a romantic candlelit experience, this performance is for you. You don’t need to know all things Tchaikovsky to enjoy the evening, simply sit back and savor the stunning atmosphere and pieces you’ll hear.
Walk into one of Houston’s most exquisite buildings where the walls will be flickering by candlelight to create a magical atmosphere. Prepare to be taken into the clouds with some of the most treasured wintertime classics from Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and other master composers!
Get your wand ready for casting spells, interact with Hippogriffs and Nifflers, and dive into enchanting moments drawn from the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts movies. After all the thrills, a delightful village awaits with cozy meals and a roaring fire. Don’t miss the opportunity to enter our Wizarding World-inspired adventure.
Sinatra Under the Stars will transport you back to a time when Sinatra reigned the scene. Enjoy a classic cocktail under the stars and melt away “those little town blues.”
Don’t miss this evening of classic jazz with a touch of some hot takes on contemporary songs performed by some of Houston’s brightest talents. Sit back and relax to the sounds of Sinatra at one of the best venues that Houston has to offer! Enjoy a delicious dinner menu and light bites available for purchase and enjoy the evening at the spectacular Skylawn rooftop.
Using a blindfold as your gateway, experience an amplification of taste and aroma, turning every bite into an extraordinary adventure. Step into a realm of sensory delight where an intimate setting encourages you to break free from the ordinary and rediscover the nuances of your taste buds. Secure your tickets today for Dining in the Dark, an unmatched experience that turns dining into an exhilarating voyage of exploration!
Described as an “experiential golf and casual dining concept”, Popstroke is a concept of golfing legend, Tiger Woods, whose technologically-advanced putt putt facility, restaurant, and beer garden is now open at 23110 Grand Circle Boulevard in Katy.
To describe the glimmering works of Yayoi Kusama as “iconic” almost sounds like a disservice. Nothing less than mesmerizing, her kaleidoscopic infinity rooms have enchanted the world over, leaving those who’ve entered breathless, and those who’ve seen them secondhand taken with envy.
Now, Houstonians can experience the indescribable as MFAH becomes the new home of Kusama’s Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity.
Houstonians will soon be able to get a taste of UK pub culture, but with a modern twist on January 14. British-based gaming pub, Flight Club, is throwing itself into the Houston bar scene with its 21st century digitized dart boards, sharing boards, and bespoke cocktails.
In this glorious city of ours, we’re proud of our widespread prevalence of Latin culture. The people, the art galleries, the celebrations, and of course, some of our all-time favorite restaurants. Old Town Harrisburg in Houston’s East End offers a Latin oasis featuring vibrant architecture, indoor and outdoor markets, weekend art fairs, and more!
Discovery Green in Downtown, Houston has returned their outdoor ice rink for the holiday season. From now until January 30, Discovery Green is hosting public skates at the foot of Houston’s skyline. As per tradition, Discovery Green will be hosting a series of themed nights for skaters to enjoy on their renewable energy-run rink.
With 23,000-square-foot to play with, Puttery will comprise four themed mini golf courses across two levels in addition to multiple bars. Despite it’s exciting design, Puttery aims to be recognized for its speciality cocktails and chef driven menu as much as it’s elegant putting courses. Whether you’re eating or playing, a delectable food and beverage program with shareable plates and craft cocktails aims to tempt people in regardless of whether they plan for some light competition or not.
Fever has an incredible deal for you! Check out the listings and movie times of our participating AMC movie theatres in Houston, get your Fever ticket, and go have fun! Whether it’s a rainy afternoon or a special date night, AMC Theatres® has your tickets to all the best comedies, action flicks, and everything in between, with just a click of a button.
Thankfully, there are plenty of coffee houses scattered about the city for residents to take refuge, re-energize, and maybe eat a scone or two.
- Rev up your mornings at the motorcycle and coffee garage.
- Secret Garden offers various international coffees with options in the form of Vietnamese, Greek Espresso, Greek Freddo Cappuccino, Turkish Coffee, and more.
- Husband-and-wife caffeine team, Manuel and Martha Gil, have recently opened Segundo Lab inside Ironworks near downtown, bringing rich, creative java flavors to the Second Ward.
Located at 310 Main St, Behind Closed Doors is an elevated new cocktail concept that comprises of multiple bars, including secret rooms, DJs, and all the vibes.
Don’t let the locked doors turn you away. Just knock twice to get in to the Mexican restaurant and oldest live music venue in Houston. No, you don’t really have to knock twice – at least, not anymore.
19-22. Hit the Dive Scene
Houston thankfully has plenty of places to take shelter in a flurry of rain: whether to escape the weather, shoot a round of pool, grab a cheap beer, or to play a song on a jukebox, consult this list to discover where to go.
- An homage to small Texas town dives, specifically the town of Ezzell, EZ’s Liquor Lounge is a late-night vintage bar adorned in Americana relics, hand-crafted furniture, and glowing neon light.
- Those who leave up their festive decorations year round, like the people over at Grand Prize Bar, are complete freaking lunatics – and we love them for it.
- La Carafe Wine Bar is a historic haunt housed in a building that’s stood for over a century and remains to be the oldest in the city of Houston.
Find exquisite cocktails, shareable plates, and a breathtaking atmosphere at Simone on Sunset’s European-style courtyard and wine garden.
As stated in its name, Simone on Sunset is located on 2418 Sunset Blvd. Upon approach, the Rice Village hidden gem dazzles with a stunning display of patio lights. Suspended from the awning, spiraling up its trellises, and hovering over the courtyard, lights set the garden aglow with an intimate and effervescent ambiance.
24-27. Explore Houston’s Awesome Markets
Markets are surging in Houston these days. Recently, the city has been blessed with not one but two mixed-media markets, that which continue to host headlining musicians, art galleries and expositions, and excellent eateries
- The former USPS warehouse as a new a cutting-edge, multi-purpose, multi-layered facility with a complete technical re-design, multiple double-helix staircases, a trio of skylit atriums, and a FIVE-ACRE ROOFTOP PARK.
- Lyric Market, owned and operated by Hospitality HQ, hones predominately on dining and chef-driven experiences.
- Ironworks, a 60,000-square-foot industrial building and development in East End has in the past few years transformed into a cultural hub. Using over 20 re-purposed shipping containers, Ironworks – formerly Cameron Iron Works founded in 1920 – has cultivated the space into a creative work and retail environment.
28-34. Eat Your Heart Out
Houston’s culinary scene is a vast, rich landscape populated with delicious eateries, scrumptious bakeries, and Tex-Mex as far as the eye can see.
- Whether it’s a classic Neapolitan-style Margherita, a traffic cone-sized slice, or some warped creation piled high with everything and the kitchen sink – we don’t discriminate when it comes to pizza. Any way you slice it, here’s 10 of the best pizza parlors in the Houston area!
- Not all buffets are created equal. When seeking out a local in which to stock up on calories to last you the winter hibernation, we recommend heading to one of our 10 favorite all-you-can-eat buffets in Houston.
- Whataburger, Taco Bell, McDonald’s – the usual suspects when it comes to late-night munchies. Sometimes, though, you got to broaden your horizons, especially when a glorious late-night food scene of delis, pizzerias, taquerias await in the city of Houston.
- Hot, cold, rain, or shine, ice cream is a good call on any day. Here’s the scoop on where to find the best ice cream in Houston
- Like breakfast tacos, kolaches are synonymous with breakfast in Texas. Savory, comfortable, portable – perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, or bought-by-the-dozen hangover cure. Unlike similar handheld breakfast staples such as donuts, bagels, and croissants, it’s not so easy finding kolaches outside of Texas. We’d probably travel more if you could, but for now, we’ll stay here in Houston with our favorite comfort breakfast food on the go.
Nothing quite says “living the highlife” like clinking glasses on a city rooftop. Touch the sky this season with a brunch, evening, or nightcap on the most jaw-dropping rooftops in Houston.
- Opened this December, Cielo XLIII offers a lavish new hangout in the sky with unparalleled, 360-degree views of the city from the tallest bar in the city Houston.
- Starting off with Texas Winter Nights at the Marriot Marquis Houston, who’ve converted their legendary downtown rooftop into a full-scale Winter Wonderland with movie nights, festive lights, and one heated lazy river.
- The Coffee House at West End is now open at 802 Shepherd Dr., that is, a three-story coffee shop that features top-notch joe, a cozy interior, and a stunning rooftop with sweeping views of the Houston skyline.
The weather can’t make up its mind in Houston. Either it rains for two weeks straight, or its lays down triple-digit temperatures, bitter frigidness, or outdoor-cancelling humidity.
Be it frozen or on the rocks, salty, bitter, or sweet, when searching for the tequila-infused taste of the season in Houston, here are the 10 spots you have to check out.
Immerse yourself in the music… Off The Record, a clandestine establishment situated behind a vinyl shop, is now welcoming guests at 416 Main Street. Within this chic retreat, patrons can unwind on opulent crushed velvet sofas, indulge in music-inspired cocktails, and relish the tunes curated by resident DJs.