And because of that, there are some things we’ve become accustomed to that anyone else would feel like they were on another planter for witnessing — or at the least would seriously not get!
Here are your responses for things that are considered totally normal in Houston…but would not be acceptable anywhere else. The good, the bad, and everything in between:
1. Driving 10-15 miles over the speed limit to not die…
2. Adult store next to a smoke shop next to a day care…
3. People on horseback in residential areas in the city.
4. 4 seasons in 1 day
5. Spiked tire rims like from spy hunter.
6. Honking the literal second a traffic light turns green.
7. Luxury apartments, next to a trucking warehouse, next to a junkyard, sandwiched by two other luxury apartment buildings, all split by a very active railroad track.
8. Slabs and slowed down music coming out the deck
9. The Buc-ees and Whataburger cult.
10. Playing both Garth Brooks and Slim Thug at your wedding reception.
11. Wearing a coat for breakfast but wearing the most freeing spring dress underneath for brunch.
12. A 7-ft alligator gar in the bayou.
13. “Should only take me about 30 minutes to get there.”
14. Pronouncing Kuykendahl as Kirk Ken Doll.
15. Having an entire separate closer for your “rodeo attire”.
16. Tex Mex being called authentic Mexican food.