It’s that time of the year, y’all. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is back at NRG park to host the most Texan event of the season!
While the Rodeo regularly features a near limitless number of amazing attractions, this article will focus on one of our all-time favorite traditions: eating and where to find the best food at Rodeo Houston.
If you’re like us, and the dizzying array of all the vendors has your head reeling, we recommend trying out these new restaurant additions.
What’s New In Food
Sink your teeth into all the corndogs, funnel cakes, turkey legs and other classic fair food at the carnival. This year, the Rodeo is debuting a variety of new dishes such as the Hot Nashville Cheeto Chicken Sandwich, extra crispy chicken drizzled with Nashville hot sauce with slaw on a toasted brioche bun from Biggy’s II. The dish is also available on a stick, in which the hot chicken is drenched with cheese and rolled in Hot Cheetos and topped with crispy pickles.
Visitors are also welcome to try the new Fruity Pebbles Shrimp Fried Rice Bowl. Available at Get Fried, the dish consists of fried rice mixed with Fruity Pebbles shrimp, sausage, and pineapple, served in a pineapple.
Elsewhere, Spud Ranch BBQ has also debuted a sweet new dish for this year. The new Honolulu Hog Spud is a pulled pork-stuffed baked potato with teriyaki sauce, pineapple, and sesame seeds.
At Swirl Ice Cream, visitors can indulge their sweet tooth with the new Rodeo Caramel Crack Sundae, an extravagant sundae fixed with caramel corn, and topped with chocolate dip, caramel, and a chocolate cowboy hat. Other new dishes this year include:
- Cap’n Crunch Chicken Sandwich from Biggy’s II.
- Ramen Corn in a Cup from Corn Shack
- Candied Grapes from Cowboy Kettle Corn
- Captain Crunch Funnel Cake and Fruity Pebbles Funnel Cake from Dutchemen’s Funnel Cake
- Flamin Hot Wings from Enzo’s Pizzeria
- Deep Fried Krispy Kreme Banana Split from Fried A Fair II
- Going Nuts from Hot Cheetos Pretzel
- Cowboy Slushi from Kid Shack
- Deep Fried Scone from Sweet Cheeks
- Rodeo Donut Cheeseburger from Texas Steak Out Grill
This year, Berg Hospitality Group’s first-served casual dining concept, The Ranch Saloon + Steakhouse has returned. The concept comprises of two separate dining areas on the southwest corner of NRG Astrodome with two full bars, live music, as well as a tequila bar on the patio.
Additionally, Trill OG Bun B will reprise his renowned Trill Burgers concept – which was recently named the best burger in North America.
New food vendors this year include Pretzel Bros, Texas Skillet, Asian Streetness by Moi, and Vietnamese Grill.
Taste The Best Of The Best
This past year, the Rodeo decided on the best of the best eats at the 2022 Gold Buckle Food awards at The Ranch Saloon + Steakhouse:
- The Berry Racer Caramel Apples from Munch-oes Bakery
- Beef K-BOB on a Stick from Saltgrass Steakhouse
- The Spice Corn Dog from Corn Dog with No Name
Best Fried Food
- Deep Fried Jambalaya Roll from Cajun Cowboy
- Funnel Cake Monte Cristo Basket from Sills Concessions
- Chicken Tender Basket from Holmes Smokehouse
Best Classic Fair Food
- Harlon’s All Meat Stuffed Potato from Harlon’s BBQ
- Pulled Pork Baked Potato from Saltgrass Steak House
- Brisket Cheese Fries from Spring’s Country Kitchen
Most Creative Food
- The Bonfire Funnel Cake from Corn Dog with No Name
- Harlon’s Stuffed Turkey Leg from Harlon’s BBQ
- Steak Salad from Saltgrass Steak House
Best New Flavor
- Bacon Mac & Cheese Egg Roll from The Finer Diner
- Brisket Bacon Melt from Spring Country Kitchen
- Island Slaw from Island Noodles
- Fried Red Velvet Cupcake from Sills Funnel Cakes
- Chocolate Turtle Cookie Sandwich from Munch-oes Bakery
- The Yellow Rose Funnel Cake from Corn Dog with No Name