Do we ride for Whataburger just because it’s from Texas? Is your favorite coffee shop all style and no substance? Is Tex-Mex just hype? Some say it’s truth, others will say it’s a bold-faced, borderline sacrilegious lie. In any case, here are 15 controversial Houston food opinions from the folks on Reddit.
1. “No food is worth standing in line for.” – u/mgbesq
2. “Houston chefs should continue to utilize the breadth of cultures and history here to make innovative cuisine, rather than jump on the IG food bandwagon that Austin and Portland engage in.” – u/rednoise
3. “Liking tacos/knowing the best place in town to get tacos is not a personality. Update your dating profiles accordingly.” – u/sisternightphd
7. “Good Mexican food doesn’t have to come out of a truck.” – u/bligytz
8. “If city parking minimums require you to have parking and you charge for that parking, it’s not really a parking minimum, it’s you running a parking lot as a side hustle. Bonus points if it’s cash only and I can’t put it on my tab.” – u/thecravenone
9. “[T]orchys is also not that bad and comparing their tacos to 2 dollar al pastor taquitos from the gas station lot by your house is a false equivalency unless taqueria whatever also has fried shrimp tacos with mango habanero sauce.” – u/second_ary