Houston: where it doesn’t have to rain to flood.
On Thursday afternoon, Houstonians in the East Loop area were aghast to find flooded streets under a sunny sky. The cause was that of a burst water-pipe from a city-owned plant that supplies half of Houston’s H20. This caused massive flooding, dunking vehicles all over the East Loop and leaving many drivers idle on Houston freeways.
In addition, many schools, businesses, and restaurants have been forced to temporarily close their doors. [Featured image: @davissthouston]
Thankfully, there were no reported injuries. Nevertheless, the disaster was extensive enough to warrant the deployment of tanker trucks to subdue fire outbreaks. In the end, the Fire Department had to rescue 3 people and remove 12 vehicles from the waters of Loop 610.
View this post on Instagram
#craziness I’m so glad I didn’t come to #Houston today Reposted from @abc13houston The ABC13 drone shows you a different view of the water main break off 610 East Loop at Clinton. @houstonmayor said this broken water main pipe services 45-50% of the City of Houston. Wow! #breakingnews #watermain #watermainbreak #houstonnews #flooding – #regrann
While the water has ceased and continues to recede, the water pressure remains “below the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality’s required minimum of 20 PSI.” This drop in water pressure could enable a greater risk of bacteria, health officials say. As a result the city has an enforced a boil-water order on Houston restaurants and other businesses.
With this issue still in order — in concurrence with the damage of the spill — many businesses, medical services, schools, and restaurants have been obliged to temporarily close their doors.
The restaurants include:
- Bistro Menil — 1513 W Alabama St.
- Brasserie 19 — 1962 W Gray St.
- Cacao & Cardamom — 5000 Westheimer Rd.
- Davis Street at Hermann Park — 5925 Almeda Rd.
- Emmaline — 3210 W Dallas St.
- Eugene’s Gulf Coast Cuisine — 1985 Welch St.
- Finn Hall — 712 Main St.
- Frenchy’s Chicken — 4646 Scott St.
- Georgia James — 1100 Westheimer
- Good Dog — 1312 W Alabama St.
- Indianola — 1201 Saint Emanuel
- Lucille’s — 5512 La Branch St.
- Miss Carousel — 1201 Saint Emanuel
- Montrose Cheese & Wine — 1618 Westheimer Rd.
- Ramen Tatsu-ya — 1722 California St.
- Relish Restaurant & Bar — 2810 Westheimer
- Rosie Cannonball — 1620 Westheimer Rd.
- Saint Arnold’s Beer Garden & Restaurant — 2000 Lyons Ave.
- Sticky’s Chicken — 2311 Edwards St.
- Tacodeli — 1902 Washington Ave.
- The Hay Merchant — 1100 Westheimer
- Traveler’s Table — 520 Westheimer Rd.
- Union Kitchen –3452 Ella Blvd.
- Weights + Measures — 2808 Caroline St.
- Vinny’s — 1201 Saint Emanuel