Houston is home to a vibrant art scene. Whether through the murals and graffiti galleries in the streets, countless mind-altering exhibitions, or its rich (and maybe even a little eccentric) cultural institutions, it’s a haven for artists, art enthusiasts, and the curious ones.
On any given day, the city’s museums and the priceless works of art inside, are surely worth the price of admission, but on Thursdays the city offers complimentary admission during specific hours each week or are entirely free of charge.
Participating museums that offer free entrance all-day Thursday include:
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
- Houston Center for Photography
- The Jung Center
- Lawndale Art Center
- Moody Center for the Arts
- The Museum of Fine Arts Houston
Museums that feature free entrance at select hours on Thursdays include:
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum (1 pm – 5 pm)
- Children’s Museum of Houston (5 pm – 8 pm)
- Czech Center Museum Houston (12 pm – 4 pm)
- The Health Museum (2 pm – 7 pm)
- Holocaust Museum Houston (2 pm – 5 pm)
- Houston Museum of African American Culture ((6 pm – 8 pm)
- Houston Museum of Natural Science (6 pm – 9 pm)
If there is a specific exhibition that you wish to see at any of these one museums, be sure to check the museums’ websites beforehand to ensure that Free Thursdays grants admission to the otherwise ticketed exhibit.
Similarly, the Houston Zoo offers free admission on the first Tuesday of every month. During Free Tuesdays at the Houston Zoo, visitors can enjoy complimentary daytime admission from opening to closing hours, granting them access to all the zoo’s exhibits and animals without any cost. Visitors must make a reservation online beforehand.